Click on our Calendar of Events icon to see the complete calendar of upcoming activities.
Center for Progressive Christianity
The Center for Progressive Christianity sponsors activities that address four goals: 1) finding effective ways to engage the denominations; 2) creating open and welcoming communities of faith; 3) building a network of progressive Christians; and 4) being a constructive force for justice and peace in the world. Churches which identify themselves with this organization have considered and embraced the following principles:
By calling ourselves progressive, we mean that we are Christians who:
- proclaim Jesus Christ as our Gate to the realm of God;
recognize the faithfulness of other people who have other names for the gateway to God’s realm;
- understand our sharing of bread and wine in Jesus’s name to be a representation of God’s feast for all peoples;
- invite all sorts and conditions of people to join in our worship and in our common life as full partners, including (but not limited to) believers and agnostics, conventional Christians and questioning skeptics, homosexuals and heterosexuals, females and males, the despairing and the hopeful, those of all races and cultures, and those of all classes and abilities, without imposing on them the necessity of becoming like us;
- think that the way we treat one another and other people is more important than the way we express our beliefs;
- find more grace in the search for meaning than in absolute certainty, in the questions than in the answers;
- see ourselves as a spiritual community in which we discover the resources required for our work in the world: striving for justice and peace among all people, bringing hope to those Jesus called the least of his sisters and brothers.
- recognize that our faith entails costly discipleship, renunciation of privilege, and conscientious resistance to evil – as has always been the tradition of the church.
The Center is located at 99 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-3402, telephone 617-441-0928. Visit their website at www.tcpc.org.
All Souls Bethelehem Church, Brooklyn, NY 11218-5902